Cream of Asparagus Soup
1 c. Cooked Asparagus, chopped
1 tbsp. Butter
1 tbsp. All-Purpose Flour
2 c. Vegetable Broth
1 c. Milk or Heavy Cream, heated
Kosher Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. Cornstarch, if needed
2 tbsp. Cold Water, if needed
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter then add in the asparagus.
2. Saute for 2 minutes then add in the flour, forming a roux.
3. Stir in the vegetable broth and warmed milk, stir and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Use your immersion blender* to blend all of the ingredients together.
5. If it isn’t thick enough for your liking, mix together the cornstarch and cold water; then add it to the mixture and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serves 2.
*Tip #1: If you do not have an immersion blender, simply pour the mixture into a regular blender and puree until smooth. Just be very careful not to fill it too much to the top as it will be extremely hot and you don’t want to pop the lid off of your blender.
*Tip #2: To cook the asparagus, first trim the asparagus by cutting off about 1″ from the bottom. Rinse under cold water and add to a double boiler. Steam asparagus for approximately 5 minutes so that it has softened but still firm.