This hearty Low Fat Black Bean & Sun Dried Tomato Lasagna is made with low fat cottage and mozzarella cheeses, but don't worry, you'll never miss the extra calories!
I've mentioned previously that I was going to start watching what I was eating more carefully and that I started using an app called Lose It.* Well, I'm happy to report, that just by keeping track of my daily caloric intake, I've lost 3.5 lbs in the first week...YIPEE!
I have a long way to go and after my doctors clearance this past Thursday for my leg (I tore my calf muscle right before Christmas for all of the new people following CEK), I can now start to include an exercise routine into my week on a more regular basis.
Which brings me to today's recipe. I love quintessential Italian foods, like lasagna, but I knew there had to be a way to still enjoy my favorite foods if I tweaked them a little to be healthier without losing the flavor that sometimes accompanies reduced calorie meals.
How do you make Low Fat Black Bean and Sun Dried Tomato Lasagna?
To make this recipe, combine the cottage cheese, egg, basil, some of the mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, black beans and half of the marinara sauce.
Mix well; then place a thin coating of marinara sauce in a 9" x 13" oven safe baking dish and start to layer your lasagna noodles and cheese mixture, adding a thin layer of sauce in between.
You should have three layers of cheese mixture and the last layer should be lasagna noodles, sauce and the remaining half of a cup of mozzarella cheese. Finally, bake for 40-45 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven or until the cheese has melted and noodles have softened.
This recipe for Low Fat Black Bean & Sun Dried Tomato Lasagna serves 12 people and if you don't care about the added calories and fat, by all means use whole milk ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, because this lasagna had such a robust flavor. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Low Fat Black Bean & Sun Dried Tomato Lasagna
- 1 box oven ready lasagna sheets
- 1 pound 1% cottage cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup diced sun dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 1- (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups prepared marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese, egg, basil, sun dried tomatoes, ½ cup mozzarella, garlic powder, black beans and ½ cup marinara sauce; mix well.
- Place a thin coating of marinara sauce in a 9" x 13" oven safe baking dish then start to layer your lasagna noodles and cheese mixture, adding a thin layer of sauce in between. (You should have three layers of cheese mixture. The last layer should be lasagna noodles, sauce and the remaining ½ cup of mozzarella cheese.)
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cheese has melted and noodles have softened.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups
Anita at Hungry Couple says
I'm also doing lighter, healthier eating these days so it's great to see a lightened up recipe for something yummy!
Carrie's Experimental Kitchen says
It's hard to do when you really enjoy food. I'm glad you like this one Anita.