Apple Coffee Cake made with chopped apples and sour cream; then topped with a cinnamon walnut buttery topping is the perfect fall dessert.
Some recipes get passed down from generation to generation. Others are found in old cookbooks or scribbled on loose pieces of paper; only to be found after one passes. Such is the case for this Apple Coffee Cake.
After my husband’s Aunt Mae passed away years ago, we were tasked with cleaning out her home. After 90+ years of living, she had a lot of “stuff”. I gravitated towards the kitchen (naturally) to pack and came across several cookbooks.
Some I kept and have posted several old recipes from over the years like Skillet Mushroom and Onion Chicken and Swiss Vegetable Medley. Then there were other recipes that were scribbled onto pieces of paper so I had no idea where they came from.
After my accident, I went through a lot of these old recipes that I had been wanting to make and this Apple Coffee Cake seemed like a good place to start. Boy was I glad I did, it was amazing and super moist.
I’ve only made one other coffee cake recipe and though a little similar, we loved the addition of apples in this version!
What do you need to make the Cake?
For the cake part of this recipe you’ll need all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, granulated sugar, butter, chopped apples, eggs, and sour cream.
I prefer using McIntosh or Honeycrisp apples when baking as they’re softer and cook more evenly.
How do you make apple coffee cake?
Start by combining all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using cold butter, shred it with a box grater into the dry mixture.
Peel, core and dice the apples into small pieces and place in a medium bowl along with the eggs and sour cream.
How do you make the topping?
To make the topping you’ll need all purpose flour, chopped walnuts, light brown sugar, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract and melted butter. Add all ingredients to a medium bowl; then mix with a wooden spoon until it’s crumbly.
Add the crumbs to the top of the batter; then bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 1 hour or until when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
We’re still not 100% sure where this Apple Coffee Cake recipe came from; though my husband thinks it may have come from one of his childhood neighbors.
In any event, it’s a great recipe that I hope you’ll try for yourself. It would go perfectly with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea either for an afternoon snack or morning treat.
If you love apple desserts, check out this post 20 Apple Dessert Recipes too. ~Enjoy!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
Try these recipes too!
- Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins
- Lemon Sour Cream Cake
- Sour Cream Apple Pie
- Spice Cake with Sour Cream Frosting
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Apple Coffee Cake
For the Coffee Cake
For the Coffee Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; then shred the butter with a box grater into the dry mixture.
- Peel, core and dice the apples into small pieces and place in a medium bowl along with the eggs and sour cream. Whisk until blended; then pour into the dry mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Spray a 2-quart squared baking dish with cooking spray; then pour the batter into the dish.
- Add the crumbs to the top of the batter; then bake for 1 hour or until when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
For the Topping
- Add all ingredients to a medium bowl; then mix with a wooden spoon until it's crumbly.