Smokey Portuguese chourico combined with eggs, chives and Queso Fresco nestled inside flour tortillas make a tasty breakfast taco to start the day.
Chourico and eggs were one of my father in laws favorite things to make for weekend breakfast. However, he also LOADED it with onions; which my husband and I can no longer eat. Our girls absolutely LOVE it!
Even though he's been gone for three years, they still comment about the smell wafting from the kitchen when they walked in Grandpa was making his favorite breakfast.
Recently, our oldest daughter and I were in Florida scoping out a new apartment. She is continuing her education and was accepted into a Nuclear Radiology Program; which means she'll be living there for at least the next 2 years.
Since my mother doesn't live far from her campus we stayed with her; then went to breakfast one morning at a quaint little diner.
I'm usually a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast and prefer either egg white omelettes, scrambled eggs or "dippy" eggs. Technically I like them over-medium, but since I called them this as a child and carried it over to my girls, the name stuck.
Anyway, the had some different items on their menu like skillets, breakfast burritos and tacos so I decided to try their egg and chorizo breakfast taco; which used Spanish chorizo; not Portuguese chourico.
Difference Between Chorizo and Chourico?
Mexican/Spanish Chorizo and Portuguese Chourico are similar, but they are not the same though they are all spiced pork sausages
- Mexican chorizo is fresh and not fully cooked.
- Spanish chorizo is cured.
- Portuguese chourico is a smoked sausage, so it is fully cooked and ready to eat; though tastes best when heated to bring out the flavor.
These breakfast tacos are delicious, super flavorful and easy to make. They're great when feeding a crowd so people can assemble their own. This recipe makes 10 tacos and is ready in about 15 minutes.
- Mini Food Processor (if needed to grind chourico)
- Medium Bowl
- Large Nonstick Skillet
- Wooden Spoon
- Serving Bowl
For this recipe you'll need the following ingredients:
Large Eggs: In this recipe I used 8 whole eggs, but you can use 2 cups of liquid eggs.
Milk: Whole, part-skim, skim milk, half & half or heavy cream can be used. It just helps to make the eggs creamier when cooking.
Chopped Chives: You can use fresh chopped or dried chives. It just adds a mild onion flavor. You can also substitute chopped onion in this recipe. If you do, saute it with the chourico and cook until it's translucent before adding the eggs.
Ground Chourico: I used Portuguese chourico, but you can use the Mexican or Spanish variety. Just make sure you cook the chorizo until at least 160 degrees F to ensure it's safe to eat.
Queso Fresco: Queso Fresco means "fresh cheese" and is soft, mild and can easily be crumbled. You can also use Cojita cheese or any liquid queso in this recipe.
6-inch Flour Tortillas: These small tortillas are great for portion control. You can use flour or corn tortillas. Any extra would make a tasty quesadilla too! You can use at room temperature or wrap in foil and heat in the oven for a few minutes to make them warm.
Optional Toppings: You can add extra Queso Fresco, chopped scallions, salsa or pico de gallo, sour cream and/or jalepeno peppers to your tacos.
How to Grind Chourico
Most chourico come in links with a casing around them to hold in the contents; similar to Italian sausage. If you can't find ground chourico, you can grind it yourself!
Start by removing the skin; then cut into pieces and place in a mini food processor. Pulse on high 1-2 minutes until the sausage is finely ground.
How do you make Breakfast Tacos?
Start by breaking the eggs into a medium bowl, discard the shells; then add the milk, chives, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth; set aside.
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; then add the ground chourico and heat for 3-5 minutes. Next, add the eggs and cook for approximately 3 minutes; then add the cheese.
Stir constantly and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the eggs are cooked through and mostly set. Remove the eggs from the pan, place in a serving bowl; then fill the tortilla shells.
Assemble your breakfast tacos with your favorite toppings and serve hot!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Sun Dried Tomato Baked Eggs
- Skillet Florentine Frittata
- Taylor Ham, Egg and Cheese on a Hard Roll
- Spinach Artichoke Breakfast Strata
- Tomato Mozzarella Frittata
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Chourico Breakfast Tacos
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup ground chourico (approx. 4 ounces)
- 2 ounces queso fresco (crumbled)
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 10 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Start by breaking the eggs into a medium bowl, discard the shells; then add the milk, chives, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat; then add the ground chourico and heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the eggs and cook for approximately 3 minutes; then add the cheese.
- Stir constantly and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the eggs are cooked through and mostly set.
- Remove the eggs from the pan, place in a serving bowl; then fill the tortilla shells. Assemble your chourico breakfast tacos with your favorite toppings and serve hot!
Leave a Reply