Greek Farro Salad made with Kalamata olives, spinach, oregano and Feta cheese in a light lemony vinaigrette.
If you follow my blog regularly, you know that my mother was in from FL a couple of weeks ago. She doesn't come to NJ often and when she does, she doesn't get a chance to visit with her extended family often.
Heck, I live here and I don't see my aunts, uncles and cousins besides weddings and funerals much anymore either and the furthest one only lives an hour away!
So this time, I arranged to have whomever can make it from our family come to my home for a get together. Nothing fancy, just some apps, drinks, dinner, salads and desserts.
Just about everyone brought something too which is always helpful and a special thank you to my Mom and cousin Dawn for doing all of the dishes for me since that was also the day I cut my hand!
I made some Penne with Vodka Sauce, Chicken in a Lemon Butter Sauce (in honor of my family in MI that couldn't be here), Asian Chicken Wings, a tossed salad, Potato Salad and this Greek Farro Salad.
How do you make Greek Farro Salad?
This salad was a total "everything but the kitchen sink" salad I threw together using a few Kalamata olives, fresh baby spinach and Feta cheese using ingredients I had left in the refrigerator and didn't want to throw away.
Start by placing water in a small pot and bring to a boil.
Add the farro, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until farro is cooked and the water is absorbed. Remove from the pot, place in a bowl and allow to cool.
Next, add the olives, scallion, spinach, oregano, feta, lemon zest and juice and oil. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
This Greek Farro Salad was so flavorful and light and my family really enjoyed it. All in all, we had a BLAST! There was a TON of food left over, even after I sent some of it home with others (go figure) so I didn't have to cook for a couple of days afterward...bonus! ~Enjoy!
More Farro Recipes
- Santorini Farro Salad
- Creamy Farro with Spinach, Garlic & Asiago
- Zuppa di Farro (Italian Farro Soup)
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Greek Farro Salad
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- ¼ cup fresh spinach, packed and torn into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Place water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the farro, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until farro is cooked and the water is absorbed. Remove from the pot, place in a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the olives, scallion, spinach, oregano, feta, lemon zest and juice and oil. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Kirsten Madaus says
This looks like one of those salads I can't walk past without sticking a fork in and having 'just one more' taste. Again, and again.
Carrie Farias says
Glad you like it! 🙂
Anita at Hungry Couple says
Yum. I love farro and I LOVE feta. 🙂
Carrie Farias says
It was great Anita..thanks for stopping by! 🙂