Farro combined with Kalamata olives, spinach, oregano and Feta cheese in a light lemon vinaigrette.
If you follow my blog regularly, you know that my mother was in from FL a couple of weeks ago. She doesn’t come to NJ often and when she does, she doesn’t get a chance to visit with her extended family often. Heck, I live here and I don’t see my aunts, uncles and cousins besides weddings and funerals much anymore either and the furthest one only lives an hour away! So this time, I arranged to have whomever can make it from our family come to my home for a get together. Nothing fancy, just some apps, drinks, dinner, salads and desserts. Just about everyone brought something too which is always helpful and a special thank you to my Mom and cousin Dawn for doing all of the dishes for me since that was also the day I cut my hand!
I made some Penne with Vodka Sauce (in the cookbook), Chicken in a Lemon Butter Sauce (in honor of my family in MI that couldn’t be here), Asian Chicken Wings (the kids favorite and also in the cookbook), a tossed salad, Homestyle Potato Salad (another one in the cookbook) and I also made this Greek Farro Salad.Farro combined with fresh Greek flavors in a light lemon vinaigrette. #salad Click To Tweet
This salad was a total “everything but the kitchen sink” salad I threw together using the few olives, spinach and feta cheese I had left in the refrigerator and didn’t want to throw away. It was delicious and my family really enjoyed it. All in all, we had a BLAST! There was a TON of food left over, even after I sent some of it home with others (go figure) so I didn’t have to cook for a couple of days afterward…bonus!
Greek Farro Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes Yield: 8
Cook Time: 10 minutes Serving: 1/4 c.
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 c. Farro
- 2 c. Water
- 1/4 c. Kalamata Olives, chopped
- 1 Scallion, chopped
- 1/4 c. Fresh Spinach, packed and torn into small pieces
- 1 tsp. Fresh Oregano, chopped
- 1/4 c. Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
- Place water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the farro, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until farro is cooked and the water is absorbed. Remove from the pot, place in a bowl and allow to cool.
- Add the olives, scallion, spinach, oregano, feta, lemon zest and juice and oil. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.