Fresh strawberries and basil macerated with Italian Limoncello is a grown up, refreshing summertime dessert. Try adding this to your favorite ice cream!
I love fresh strawberries and eat them year-round. So when I went to the market and purchased a fairly large container of them, I couldn't wait to dig in.
Days went by and I had tucked them so far in back of my refrigerator that I completely forgot about them.
If your home is like mine, if I personally do not clean and cut up fruit when I get them, no one else will take it upon themselves to do it and I wind up throwing it away.
So before the strawberries went bad, I decided the only way they were all going to be eaten (and quickly) is if I made a dessert out of them; preferably one that wasn't too complicated.
The combination of all of the flavors in these Limoncello Strawberries was refreshing. Needless to say, the entire container of strawberries disappeared. This is also a great dessert to serve for those following a gluten free diet.
You can eat these Limoncello Strawberries on their own or place on top of some vanilla ice cream.
For this recipe you'll need the following ingredients:
- Fresh Strawberries
- Lemon Zest
- Fresh Basil
- Agave Syrup
- Limoncello: Limoncello is an Italian liqueur made with either vodka or grain alcohol, simple syrup and lemon zest. You can find my homemade recipe here or purchase at your local liquor store.
What is Blue Agave Syrup?
Blue Agave syrup is sweeter than sugar and has a thinner consistency than honey. I had never used it before and wanted to try it out to see if there was a difference.
The syrup was sweet, but what I also learned that while it has pretty much the same nutritional value as sugar, it doesn't cause a spike in blood sugar like regular sugar does.
How do you make Limoncello Strawberries?
Start by removing the stems; then slice the strawberries and place in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, toss to coat; then chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.
More Limoncello Recipes
- Rosemary Limoncello Spritzer
- Limoncello Cheesecake
- No Bake Limoncello Pie
- Linguine with Limoncello Asiago Cream Sauce
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Limoncello Strawberries with Fresh Basil
- 2 pints Fresh Strawberries, rinsed under cold water
- 1 Lemon, zest only
- 1 ½ tbsp. Fresh Basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Agave Syrup
- 2 tbsp. Italian Limoncello
- Remove stems, slice strawberries and place in a bowl.
- Add the lemon zest, basil, agave syrup and Limoncello. Gently stir together until all of the strawberries are well coated. Chill until ready to serve.