Meatball Stromboli made with your favorite Italian meatballs, sauce and pizza dough are perfect for Friday pizza nights or game day festivities.
Welcome to Day 4 of my Superbowl appetizers week. Today is a recipe for Meatball Stromboli that is so good and simple to make. The best thing about this recipe is that you can make it two ways.
The “semi-homemade” way or the “from-scratch” way. The “from-scratch” way is to make your own dough, mix and brown your own meatballs, use homemade sauce and shred your own cheese. Though this way is good, it isn’t a time saver.
The “semi-homemade” way is to use frozen or fresh pizza dough from your local supermarket or pizzeria, frozen pre-made meatballs, jar sauce and already shredded cheese.
This is what I call the “Oh crap, I’ve decided to have a last minute get together and have nothing to serve as an appetizer” way because it’s THAT easy and quick to make!
I realized I hadn’t made a meatball stromboli before on the blog and thought it would make a fun appetizer for the Superbowl theme this week. So I used a combination of both methods.
- Frozen Pizza Dough; which I always have in the freezer to use for Friday pizza nights
- Pre-made Italian Meatballs that I had in the freezer when the restaurant sent us home with some of the leftover food after R’s party
- Marinara Sauce; which I always have in the freezer as well.
- Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Yes, Meatball Stromboli’s are a little messy; especially when first coming out of the oven. So allow it to rest for a few minutes before slicing into it.~Enjoy!
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put a little oil on your clean hands and spread out the dough on a lightly greased flat surface into a rectangle about ¼” thick.
- Spread the sauce on top of the dough, leaving a 1/4" border around all sides, then top with the sliced meatballs and cheese.
- Gently roll from left to right, sealing the ends by pinching the dough together; then place seam side down on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Brush top the top of the loaf with oil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until brown. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing into 1" thick slices.