Pasta e Fagioli: This classic pasta and bean Italian soup is loaded with flavor and with the added ground beef, it makes for a satisfying meal.
I love Pasta e Fagioli and it literally means “pasta and beans”. Everyone has their own version of this favorite Italian soup and I like to add some ground beef to mine to give it even more flavor.
I guess this is quite similar to the Olive Garden version; though they use a variety of beans whereas I just add cannellini beans so I can’t truly call it a copycat, the taste is fantastic nonetheless.
This Pasta e Fagioli is quite simple to prepare as well and can be made the day before and reheated. It actually tastes even better once all of the flavors sit together for a while.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Pasta e Fagioli (pasta and bean Italian soup) #soup #beans #pasta #italian” quote=”Pasta e Fagioli – This classic pasta and bean Italian soup is loaded with flavor and with the added ground beef, it makes for a satisfying meal. “]
How do you make pasta e fagioli?
Start by browning the ground beef in a large pot or Dutch oven; remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, heat some oil and add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and tomatoes. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
Add the browned ground beef back to the pot along with beef broth, water, tomato paste, oregano, beans, and Pecorino Romano cheese. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 40-45 minutes. Add the pasta (ditalini); then let simmer for another 15 minutes.
This batch makes 8 cups and can also be frozen (though the pasta may break apart a bit once defrosted). This Pasta e Fagioli recipe is such a hearty, robust soup that we just eat this with a nice, warm loaf of crusty Italian bread (great for dipping!) ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter to get the latest recipes and receive a FREE eBook!
Pasta e Fagioli
- 1 lb . Lean Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp . Canola Oil
- 1/4 c . Chopped Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic, chopped
- 1 c . Carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 Stalks Celery, thinly sliced
- 1 Plum Tomato, small dice
- 5 c . Low-Sodium Beef Broth
- 3 c . Water
- 2 tbsp . Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp . Dried Oregano or 2 tsp. fresh chopped oregano
- 2- 15(ounce) Cans Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c . Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated
- 1/2 c . Dry Ditalini Pasta
- Kosher Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and tomatoes. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the browned ground beef back to the pot along with beef broth, water, tomato paste, oregano, beans, and cheese. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Add the pasta; then let simmer for another 15 minutes.