Pasta e Fagioli is a classic pasta and bean Italian soup that’s loaded with flavor. With the added ground beef, it makes for a satisfying meal.
I love Pasta e Fagioli and it literally means “pasta and beans”. Everyone has their own version of this favorite Italian soup and I like to add some ground beef to mine to give it even more flavor.
This recipe is similar to the Olive Garden version; though they use a variety of beans whereas I just add cannellini beans so I can’t truly call it a copycat, the taste is fantastic nonetheless.
This Pasta e Fagioli is quite simple to prepare as well and can be made the day before and reheated. It actually tastes even better once all of the flavors sit together for a while.
How do you make pasta e fagioli?
Start by browning the ground beef in a large pot or Dutch oven; remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, heat some oil and add onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and tomatoes. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
Add the browned ground beef back to the pot along with beef broth, water, tomato paste, oregano, beans, and Pecorino Romano cheese. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 40-45 minutes. Add the pasta (ditalini); then let simmer for another 15 minutes.
This batch makes 8 cups and can also be frozen (though the pasta may break apart a bit once defrosted).
This Pasta e Fagioli recipe is such a hearty, robust soup that we just eat this with a nice, warm loaf of crusty Italian bread (great for dipping!) ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Pasta e Fagioli
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 stalks thinly sliced celery
- 1 plum tomato , diced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2- (15-ounce)cans cannellini beans , rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/2 cup ditalini pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Brown the ground beef in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and tomatoes. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the browned ground beef back to the pot along with beef broth, water, tomato paste, oregano, beans, and cheese. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- Add the pasta, salt and pepper; then let simmer for another 15 minutes.
Visit the recipe index to search for more recipes by category.