Beans are healthy and so versatile; especially in recipes like this Slow Cooker Vegetarian Three Bean Chili made with three types of beans, tomatoes, peppers and onions.
I don’t make a lot of food in my slow cooker, but chili like this Slow Cooker Vegetarian Three Bean Chili always tastes great. I guess it’s because all of the ingredients meld together; then cook slowly to really infuse all of the flavors.
I’ve been trying to incorporate more beans into our diet and slowly, but surely the kids are getting on board. I chose to use cannellini, kidney and black beans for this recipe, but feel free to substitute whichever beans you like.
I also tend to use canned beans and rinse them well before adding them to my recipes. If you’re opposed to that, by all means soak dry beans and cook accordingly before preparing this recipe. I just like to make my recipes as quick and easy as possible.
You also know that I don’t like a lot of heat in my food if you’ve been a reader here for a while, so go ahead and add as much chili powder as you like.
What are the health benefits of beans?
I’m really glad I’ve started incorporating more legumes into our diet. Not only do they taste great and are versatile in recipes, they also come with several health benefits; all of which we are monitoring to some degree in our home.
- Heart disease prevention
- Cancer fighting
- Beans provide the body with soluble fiber contain saponins and phytosterols; which helps to lower cholesterol
- Assists in weight loss as beans are high in fiber and make you feel full quicker
- Helps to manage diabetes by providing a steady course of glucose
How do you make Three Bean Chili?
For this recipe you’ll need cannellini beans, kidney beans, black beans, EVOO, red onion, green pepper, garlic, tomatoes, tomato pate, chili powder, cumin, Kosher salt and black pepper.
Start by rinsing the canned beans under cold water until it runs clear; then add them to your slow cooker. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and add the onions and peppers.
Saute for about 3-5 minutes; then add the garlic, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin and saute for another 1-2 minutes. Next, add the mixture to the beans and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-4 hours. Serve alone or over rice or pasta.
Meals like this hearty Slow Cooker Vegetarian Three Bean Chili make it easy to eat healthier too. I prefer my chili ‘as is’, but if you like a little more substance to your meals, you can serve this over rice or pasta. ~Enjoy!
Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a FREE eBook!
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Three Bean Chili
- 1- 15(ounce) can Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1- 15(ounce) can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1- 15(ounce) can Black Beans, , drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 1 Green Pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1/2 tbsp. Cumin
- 1/4 c. Tomato Paste
- 1 c. Water
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Black Pepper
- Add the beans to your slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and add the onions and peppers. Saute for about 3-5 minutes; then add the garlic, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the mixture to the beans and mix well.
- Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-4 hours. Serve alone or over rice or pasta.