Tricolor rotini pasta tossed with Salad Supreme Seasoning, fresh broccoli, tomatoes, onions and Italian dressing.
Back in the early 80's, weekends consisted of gathering at my aunt and uncles home on my mother's side of the family for outdoor Summer bbq's.
It always seemed to be at their house for a few reasons:
- They had the youngest kids so it easier for the rest of us to go to them; instead of traveling elsewhere.
- Their yard was large enough to accommodate all of us. When we did get together with everyone it was about 20 people; not including significant others and friends as us "kids" got older.
- Three quarters of our family lived nearby; so it was close for most of us to travel there.
- There was a pool. Nuff said.
Everyone always brought something to the party; whether it be beverages, grilling meat/chicken, salads or dessert. It was never left to one family to supply it all; especially if you were hosting.
And EVERYONE helped; whether it was brining out the food in between courses, cleaning it up and doing the dishes. We all got in each other's way, but that was half of the fun. Many good memories were made with my aunts and cousins in the kitchen.
In any event not a summer went by without my Aunt Renee making this Tricolor Supreme Pasta Salad. It was VERY popular back in the day so I wanted to revive it and introduce it to my own family.
She also gave me that recipe for the Chicken in Lemon Butter Sauce if you want to check that out! Not only was this pasta salad super tasty and easy to make; it brought back so many fond memories.
What is Salad Supreme?
Salad Supreme is a gluten free seasoning blend made by McCormick spices. It includes a mixture of paprika, poppy seeds, celery seed, black and red pepper, Romano cheese, salt, sesame seed, garlic.
You can sprinkle this on salads, chicken, pasta and vegetables. The seasoning can be found in your local grocery store in the dry spices aisle and has a shelf life of just shy of two years.
- pasta pot (or large pot)
- cutting board
- large mixing bowl
- liquid measuring cup
- serving bowl
For this recipe you'll need the following ingredients:
- tricolor rotini pasta
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped red onion
- chopped broccoli
- Italian dressing (store bought or homemade)
- McCormick's Salad Supreme Seasoning
I used fresh steamed broccoli, but you can use defrosted frozen broccoli florets as well.
Here are a few substitutions you can make to this pasta salad recipe:
Pasta-rotini, bow tie, gemelli, penne or gluten free
Vegetables-peppers, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumbers, carrots
Dressing-I used a white vinegar based Italian dressing, but you can use balsamic, red or any other vinegar flavor based Italian dressing.
How do you make Tricolor Supreme Pasta Salad?
Start by bring a large pot of water to a boil with a few dashes of salt over high heat. When the water boils, add the pasta and cook until the pasta is cooked.
With this tricolor rotini pasta cook for approximately 8-12 minutes. For other shapes, follow the package directions.
Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse under cold water until the pasta is cool. While the pasta is cooking, you can prepare the vegetables; then add them to a large mixing bowl.
Add the cooked pasta to the vegetables along with the Salad Supreme seasoning and Italian dressing. Mix well; then add to a serving bowl. Cover, refrigerate for at least 4 hours; then toss before serving.
Tricolor Supreme Pasta Salad will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. When serving for outdoors, keep the salad cool by placing the bowl in some ice.
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
More Pasta Salad Recipes
- Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad
- Pasta Salad with Avocado and Black Beans
- Tortellini Salad with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Broccoli
- Grilled Chicken Pasta Salad
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Tricolor Supreme Pasta Salad
- Pasta Pot (or large pot)
- Pasta Salad Serving Bowl
- 1- (12-ounce) box tricolor rotini pasta
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup Italian dressing (store bought or homemade)
- 4 tablespoons McCormick's Salad Supreme Seasoning
- Start by bring a large pot of water to a boil with a few dashes of salt over high heat. When the water boils, add the pasta and cook until the pasta is cooked.(With this tricolor rotini pasta cook for approximately 8-12 minutes. For other shapes, follow the package directions). Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse under cold water until the pasta is cool.
- While the pasta is cooking, you can prepare the vegetables; then add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked pasta to the vegetables along with the Salad Supreme seasoning and Italian dressing. Mix well; then add to a serving bowl. Cover, refrigerate for at least 4 hours; then toss before serving.
Leave a Reply