Lean eye round of beef encrusted with Italian herbs, garlic and extra virgin olive oil; then roasted until tender and golden brown.
*This post may contain affiliate links.
Wintertime is perfect for making roasts like this Italian Herb Encrusted Roast Beef. We usually switch up our Sunday dinners between whole roasted chicken, pork loin, pasta and beef.
It's the day where we sit down and eat as a family. Now that it's just the two of us home most of the year, we continue to make a roast; however, now we have leftovers which is great to pick on during the week or turn them into new recipes!
Though I don't usually use a lot of dried herbs in my cooking, the fresh variety haven't looked very good lately.
Since so many of you do prefer to use dried herbs, I experimented with an easy new roast beef dinner recipe that has a ton of flavor. This Italian Herb Roast Beef was delicious and super juicy!
This roast beef recipe is low carb (keto diet friendly), dairy free and gluten free.
What is an Eye of Round?
An eye of round is a boneless cut of beef that resembles a tenderloin and is an extremely lean. This cut is perfect for slow roasting or turning into stew. It's commonly referred to as roast beef.
Cost per serving
Currently, an eye round roast is approximately $5-$7 per pound; which may sound a bit expensive paying $10-$14 for cut of beef.
However, when you break down the cost per person, a 2-pound roast will generally feed 4 people; which is equivalent to $2.50-$3.50 per serving.
See, not that bad when you think about it right? Add some side dishes like mashed potatoes and a vegetable and you have a complete meal for under $5 per person.
I bet you pay more for that Starbucks latte on the way to work!
For this recipe you'll need the following ingredients:
Eye of Round Roast: Though we prefer the leaner cut of an eye round, this topping can be made on a bottom round roast or even steak!
Dried Italian Herb Seasoning: If you don't have a jar of the mixed seasoning, you can use equal parts of dried basil, oregano and rosemary.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Beef Broth (optional): If you want to make a gravy from the drippings, add some broth to the bottom of the roasting pan. I start with ½ cup and once it has evaporated, you can add another cup. Read here on how to make gravy from scratch. You can also use a combination of broth and red wine.
How do you make Italian Herb Encrusted Roast Beef?
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Add the beef to a small roasting pan or oven safe dish with any existing fat cap (layer of fat) facing upward; then add the broth to the bottom of the pan (if applicable).
Combine the herbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl and mix until blended. Top the roast beef with the herb mixture; then place in the oven and roast approximately 30 minutes per pound.
DO NOT BASTE the roast beef during cooking or it will remove the herb crust from the meat.
Degree of Doneness
Check the temperature with a meat thermometer for desired doneness. We prefer ours at Medium; which is 145 degrees F. A 2lb. roast will take approximately 1 hour 10 minutes.
Remove the roast from the oven; then allow to rest for 5 minutes before carving against the grain. You can carve thin or thicker, that's totally up to you!
Here are a few recipe suggestions to serve with your Italian Herb Encrusted Roast Beef:
Side Dish: Creamy Garlic and Herb Mashed Potatoes, Balsamic Mushroom Risotto, Au Gratin Potatoes or Chive Butter Smashed Potatoes
Vegetables: Green Bean Casserole, Steakhouse Creamed Spinach, Garlic and Herb Creamed Corn or Mediterranean Roasted Cauliflower
Bread: Honey Wheat Rolls, Sour Cream and Chive Drop Biscuits, or Rosemary Olive Oil Biscuits
Leftover Roast Beef
Leftover roast beef makes the perfect new recipes like Roast Beef Sliders with Brown Gravy, Individual Beef Pot Pie or Beef Barley Soup!
VISIT THE RECIPE INDEX TO SEARCH FOR MORE RECIPES BY CATEGORY.
More Roast Beef Recipes
- Parmesan Encrusted Roast Beef
- Horseradish, Garlic and Rosemary Roast Beef
- Espresso Encrusted Roast Beef
SIGN UP FOR MY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE A FREE EBOOK!
Italian Herb Encrusted Roast Beef
- Small Roasting Pan (or oven safe baking dish)
- 2 pound eye of round roast beef
- 2 teaspoons dried italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (optional) beef broth (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the beef to a small roasting pan or oven safe dish with any existing fat cap (layer of fat) facing upward; then add the broth to the bottom of the pan (if applicable).
- Combine the herbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper and oil in a small bowl and mix until blended. Top the roast beef with the herb mixture; then place in the oven and roast approximately 30 minutes per pound.
- DO NOT BASTE the roast beef during cooking or it will remove the herb crust from the meat.
- Check the temperature with a meat thermometer for desired doneness. (We prefer ours at Medium is 145 degrees F and will take approximately 1 hour 10 minutes for a 2lb. roast).
- Remove the roast from the oven; then allow to sit for 5 minutes before carving against the grain.
Leave a Reply